Work Permit Info

State of Michigan Work Permit

Minors in the State of Michigan who wish to work, must first complete a work permit. This work permit must be completed by the employer, the student, and then by the school district. Work permits can be picked up at the High School, B Wing entrance (FHS door #7), from a pocket on the outside of the door, left-hand side.

Yellow form for students 16 years of age or older
Pink form for students under the age of 16


All sections must be completed, no empty spaces.

  1. Section 1 must be completed and signed by the student.
  2. Section 2 must be completed by the new employer, which includes a list of job duties, location of the business, hours of work and a signature.
  3. After the Section 1 and Section 2 are completed, the student must apply in person with the work permit form, in order for a signed work permit to be issued at the High School Counseling Office, Monday-Friday from 7:00 am-2:00 pm at the High School office; or at Central Office. Since the student is the worker, the student must be present to issue the permit. This is a State of Michigan requirement.
  4. A school signed work permit must be on file with the employer before a minor can start work. A copy of the work permit will be kept as part of the student’s file.

If you have questions regarding work permits, please contact  an Administrative Assistant at the High School at 517.223.6060 or 5217.223.6050.